This is the time of year for reflection on our highlights and challenges of the past year, releasing or letting go that which does not serve, and identifying new intentions for 2018.
I love simple! I love the practice of picking One Word for the new year. This One Word represents your commitment to your intentions.
My word for 2017 was Light. I found the One Word easy to remember and connect to daily in my morning meditations and carry as a source of inspiration throughout my day. I explored my One Word, Light, throughout the year, in all its facets including brilliance, radiance, illumination, lightness, light hearted, delight. My word Light helped guide me on how I showed up as a leader in my life.
There are many approaches to coming up with your One Word. This year, the approach I used for determining and being open to my new Word for 2018 arose naturally. It came from participating in a Virtual Retreat on the Winter Solstice.
Here is the process I followed starting off with the framework from the Virtual Retreat, and finishing on my own process:
- List 1 to 3 highlights of 2017. Celebrate your breakthroughs!
- List 1 to 3 challenges or set backs of 2017. For each challenge, breakdown, or setback, ask yourself, what is my learning? What is the gift in this challenge?
- What do you want to forgive, release or let go of that arose for you in 2017? Is there anyone you need to forgive? Is there a need to forgive yourself so that there is no residue of ill will or hurt within your heart?
- What do you want to commit to in 2018? What are your intentions for the coming year?
- What is One Word that describes your intentions and commitments for 2018?
- Take one or two actions right away in support of this. For example, find your word on Google Images and make a new screen saver or print it and post it somewhere so that you will see and remember it daily.
From this process, my new word for 2018 is Hope. This is not a wishful hope but rather a deeper hope that is a conviction from my soul that trusts in a life affirming universe and embraces uncertainty for its creative potential. As Maya Angelou said “ hope and fear cannot occupy the same space. Invite one to stay”.
I choose Hope with all of its many facets to explore and become once again for 2018.
I was inspired to make the word Hope out of my grandson Cedar’s wooden blocks and to take a picture. I was further inspired to purchase and sign up for Deepak Chopra’s 21 day meditation on Hope in Uncertain Times, a daily meditation I will do the first 21 days of the new year. I look forward to discovering and uncovering all the many facets of my One Word Hope in 2018. I am excited about my new word for 2018 which is a message that tells me that this is the right word for me.
What is your One Word for 2018? We’d love to hear from you at email@example.com.
- Recording of Feminine Power Women’s Winter Solstice Workshop with Dr. Claire Zammit & the Feminine Power Global Tribe. DOWNLOAD it here
- Google images to download or purchase with your one word
- Chopra 21-day meditations on such topics as peace, wellbeing, happiness, gratitude, grace and hope.
Sign up for our newsletter to get inspiring articles, news about workshops and events, and a copy of our ebook, “13 Practices for Brilliant Women: A guide for transforming intentions into action.” We hope you’ll follow us on Facebook to see what is going on in the Women in Leadership for Life world.
One thought on “What is your One Word for 2018?”